A long layover can be an impromptu vacation or a mind-numbing marathon of CNN Airport Network shows. Inspired by my own 5-hour layover excursion through Frankfurt, I grabbed my iPhone and shot what I’d recommend you do and see on a long layover at O’Hare Airport.
- Wrigley Field
- Chicago hot dogs at the Wieners Circle
- Lincoln Park, Old Town, and Wicker Park/Bucktown neighborhoods
- Millennium Park
- the Loop (Chicago’s business district)
Here’s a direct link to a version you can download to a mobile device.
Here’s a map highlighting each stop on the tour:
View ORD Layover Excursion in a larger map
Some ideas on how you can customize this tour…
- If you’re coming in from Midway Airport, take the CTA Orange Line to the Loop’s Clark/Lake Exit to pick up the Brown Line north. Midway is closer to the Loop, so you can shave 40-60 minutes off the itinerary
- You can save about 30 minutes by taking a taxi to Wrigley Field from O’Hare. You can then pick up the itinerary heading south from the Addison ‘L’ stop
- If you’re interested in high-end shopping, take a left (east) at North Ave (instead of the suggested right), right (south) on State Pkwy, bear left at Rush St, and then turn left (east) on Oak St. Shop along here to Michigan Ave and head south (right). Get a beer/glass of wine at the bar on the 96th floor of the John Hancock building and enjoy the view. When you’re finished, take a taxi to Daley Plaza and pick up the itinerary there.
- If you want to go to the top of the Sears Tower (no Chicagoan calls it the Willis Tower), keep heading across the Loop (west) on Adams after the Art Institute. Take a left (south) on Franklin one block to Jackson for the entrance to the SkyDeck.